Friday, August 26, 2011

Road to Rossport, Superior calls

Yeah, I got the key to the Highway. I'm billed, I'm bound to go.

Superior breaks on the horizon. One of the world's Great Lakes. And one of the greatest, wildest, biggest things you'll ever see. Touching the shore of Superior always feels great. It's a long road over the Lakes, but once in a while it's worth the drive. I usually fly over, or drive under, because of the depressed economy and long distances. This is the second year in a row I've driven this highway, and it's very cool as I've still got friends all up and down the line.

It looks like a tough day out here. But it's a private road, and the hissing of the wheels feels good. Dr. John plays me through quite a few miles...

It's a pretty good haul today to get to the gig. About eight hours of snake road. Two lane black top. Semi trucks groaning up the hills, blowing smoke. Hawks overhead, watching, watching, floating on the updraft.

Sunny days are back as I arrive at Rossport, ON, for my gig. It's a little cafe I've played before, and when I walk in I'm made to feel welcome right away. Owners Roger and Mary have got my red wine poured and I'm soon loaded (in) and set up. It's a small room, so I'm going to play without the PA tonight. I catch a few winks in the Lincoln, parked in the shade behind the club.

Soon it's showtime. It's mostly accidental tourists here tonight. For some, it's a good accident. We have fun, even if I forget the words to "Three Cards on a Coffin." I meet some great people, including Rob, a lawyer out of the Sault who works with various First Nations peoples. Post show, we have a drink and talk about the world. You never know who you are going to meet out on this big, blues highway.

No comments:

Post a Comment